Monday 16 February 2009

Let go and Dance

--Its a weird story..:
-Tell me.
-a week ago I was with a friend of mine in an art café at the Barbican. I was having some hot chocolate. This man entered, holding a big African drum. (boom boom)
We greeted him and he talked with us for a bit. ..and went on doing what we were doing before he got in.
He sat at the bar, & ordered something there.
Suddenly, he started talking very loudly! On his own!
We were quite shocked!
I thought he was mad ( if he was , it wouldn’t be the first time I would have seen a really mad person in that café) until he started playing the drums..
-ahh . . .
-and I realized that he was actually narrating a poem! the whole situation seemed very stange and I was getting curious to find more about it.
-go on. .
-so I went closer to the bar, stood in front of him and tried to make sense of what he was saying. for some reason I found it hard.. Maybe because of the drum that he was playing simultaneously. So I could not resist not to ask him ‘what the fuck was all that about?’
-you said it like that?
-no..of course not!
-what was it about?
in another language?
-he told me that he was getting ready for a poetry night at the art centre
-great.
-and he had a quite sad face when he said that, because as he said a guy was going to accompany his poem with a guitar, but this guy didn’t make it at the end.
-ok, so he asked you.
-u r quick! yeah he did
-I told him that I didn’t know how to play the guitar. And he said ok with a sympathetic almost miserable smile. I felt a bit sorry for the old chap, and tried to think of how I could maybe help him. So.. I said to him ‘but i know how to dance thu’
-so you danced.
-I danced…and the drums drove me mad
-everyone watched . . And was transported to another universe
-everyone was transported, including me ...
-what a wonderful evening. So you became friends that way.
-yeah

-well I knew him before that. so i did the magic dance, it fitted very well with the rhythm of the drums! Then I agreed to do something like that in half an hour at the Art center.
So this is what happened at the Plymouth Art Venter that night.

* The Above conversation is closely based on a real conversation I had with Mark.


My friend recorded the performance we did. Its not a great recording or a great dance, but keeping in mind that everything was totally spontaneous, I am happy with it.

Enjoy!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ti les twra......mpravo kathrinez..and to your friend.....